Revealing too much about yourself on social networking sites can be dangerous. You can become a victim of Identity Theft or you can make it too easy for undesirable people to contact you.
- Don’t give away too much information about yourself – if you do you could become a victim of identity or property theft.
- Don’t click on suspicious links or pop-ups that could infect your device with malware or install spyware.
- Be cautious about scams, such as fake profiles designed to exploit your trust. Scams of this nature are no longer limited to e-mails.
- Remember that Applications (including Games) that run on social networking sites might send your information on to a third party.
- Check privacy policies for specific sites.
- Report all spam, phishing or hacking violations.
Fortunately, most sites provide powerful options to protect you online but you need to ensure that you make use of them.
Next: Facebook Security